My latest droppings....

11.7.07

Expanding Tip Jars




I happen to be one who throws the change (no bills though) into tip jars when they are sitting there, however I frequently ask myself why I do this. When I opened up MSN and saw the above picture with the following title: What's with all those Tip Jars?
I had to read it. (http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/YourMoney.aspx?cp-documentid=5084263)

I find it apalling myself that there are more and more tip jars sitting next to registers where the employee hardly has to offer any kind of customer service. I find them out at Subway a lot. Granted.... okay... some of the folks make my sandwich a little better than the others, but really, they are just making a sandwich. You can't screw it up too bad when I'm standing there telling you exactly what to put on it and I'm watching you to make sure you're doing it right. Typically, I pay, get my own drink and find my own seat. I even clean off my own table when I'm done eating. No one comes out from behind the bar to ask if I would like a re-fill. So, what exactly am I tipping for? That you were able to perform the requirement of your job? Now, I have seen them at places where there are shows put on.... like the fudge shops. They are cooking the fudge in front of you and they sell the fudge when it's done.... but MAN they can put on a damn good performance as well. And they sing the same songs each time with a type of cheeriness that says they never get tired of doing it. THIS I will tip for and don't mind it. Maybe I should put a tip jar on my desk. I do my job well, perhaps my employees and coworkers would tip me? Maybe my boss would? I think why I even bother throwing my change into other's jars and it is simply because when it's only 75 cents, I feel like a cheapskate if I'm seen pocketing it. But the truth is, I want my 75 cents. I have a son that it comes in handy for at school lunches. Do employers even know that some of their employees are doing this? I just don't get it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading this, I asked my boss if it would be acceptable for me to place a tip jar on my desk. I rarely have customers, however, he smiled a sideways smile, raised an eyebrow and said "Sure, as long as you aren't expecting anything from me." Honestly, my desk isn't large enough for a tip jar, so I didn't put one on it. I am considering, however, asking anyone I help and give positive feedback to that if they appreciate my help and feedback and the fact that I give it with a smile and am always polite and friendly they should consider tipping me. I think I will tell them this while I sit behind my desk in my big cushy chair sipping my Starbucks Latte (with all the extras)and after having gotten an answer to their question just by pressing a key on my keyboard WITH A BIG SMILE. Doesn't that count for something?

I guess that is one thing I like about England - no tipping, of course shitty service and no smile even, but hey, I am not paying for that because I am NOT tipping you to be nice to me! And even if you are nice to me I am STILL not tipping you :P

Anonymous said...

Good point, chicken-head!